Search this blog





Look whats new! Look whats fresh! Look what is coming your way!


SOME REALLY GREAT CONTESTS ARE ON THE WAY!


Make sure to enter all of the contests I have running right now. There are so many I could never list them all. To get to the other contests please use the blog archive links on the side of the page. Don't forget to click on 2009 too, some are Active. You can also use
the link to all contests button on the side.


New Link To All Contests on The Side, one stop Shopping!



Port a Pong and the Jewel Basket are both Our contests of the day!! Get an extra entry daily EACH in any contest by entering them and by posting you read it in the header! You must enter Port a Pong Daily first to get a bonus entry!


Don't Forget to Check Back for New Contests, Book and Product Reviews and to see the Coming soon boxes filled in!

New Book Reviews have just been Posted!



Keep your eyes out for the new product reviews we have coming in the next week or so. Also look out for the new safety link! I am going to launch it with many reviews and giveaways! First is a Mommy I'm Here review, as busy as Rowan is I think I am going to need it. Do you know this lets you know when your child is too far or lost? Will it slow Rowan down who just found out how to escape her high chair?


DUM
DUM

DUM
We will see!

JUST IN~I have added Top Ten list's for Rowan and My Self and they are there to make your shopping a little more easy! If you are looking for a gift or something for yourself and want to know a great place to shop or what to buy Jr. check out the
list, I have you covered! There is also a new safety
guide for some great ideas and products for your
home and to keep your family safe.


There is also a Easter Gift Guide with all your needs!

MAKE SURE TO KEEP UP WITH THE LOOK WHAT'S NEW LINK ON THE SIDE FOR SOMETHING NEW IS ALWAYS IN THE WORKS! I have lots of contests and product reviews planned and I list everything there.


Have you Checked this weeks Recipe?
Yum, Yum, Yum!

If there is something you guys want to see leave it in feed back or feel free to email anytime!


Brand New Fast Travel
Need to get somewhere fast? Just click here!




All Contest Listings


Look What Is New!

Winners List

Monday, February 8, 2010

Old Time Candy Review and Giveaway!  

I spent my Summers at our House up in Northern
Michigan. My Grandmother was a school teacher at
a local Catholic School so not only were school years
shortened to begin with, she also had the summers off.
My Grandfather was a Paper Pusher at Fords and had
no such luck. Every year on the day after the last
day of school my Grandmother and I would pack up the
car and leave for the Lake House. Grandpa would come
up on the weekends and take his Vacation through July
since he had worked his way up to about 6 weeks a year.
Now my Grandfather was an outdoor guy but my Grandma was
more into arts and crafts and cooking and canning then
the Lake, woods, beach or fishing or boating. During the
week when he was not there, her and I would be alone and
we would pass a lot of time with Arts but I was a Tom
Boy and wanted to get out. Lucky for me we were not only
in the country but it was a different world still in
the 70's and I could pretty much go where I wanted since
I knew the area like the back of the hand. It was not
rare for me to ride my bike or walk many miles every day.
I also would swim for hours and my best friends were
just down the hill from me and and though they did not
live on the Lake their Grandparents did and were across the field
and a short walk through the woods from my back door and
owned a resort so they had everything there and it was
a virtual playground for us kids to spend our summers in.
We used to help clean the guest homes during the week
and be rewarded with a couple of bucks that we would use
to ride up to the local store. Now when I speak of a local
store here and now I am speaking of a CVS about a block
away but there we were lucky to have one so close, about
a mile down a dirt road. Shaw's! When you first walk in
they have two isles of bins that all had penny candy in them.
The State Park was right across the road and they made
a killing catering to them and had anything a kid
could ever want inside. We would buy a huge bag then split
up the loot once we got back to our home. I gotta say
that was the best time in my whole life. The thrill of
getting a little brown bag and reaching into bin after
bin of Penny Candy was enough to make a little kids
excitement level fly through the roof and even then
places like that were a rare find.
Andrew spent most of his life experiencing candy
the way a large percentage of kids today do. At the
Supermarket or Drug Store, maybe Target but every place
has the same routine. A row or selection near the checkout
with full sized candy bars and gum where people are prone
to make an impulse buy. 7-11 and Gas stations are not
much different though they have an isle with the same
candy. The point is no longer do children get the thrill
of walking into a store that has been set aside just for
Candy and filled with not a few rows on a rack or one
isle out of 20 but rather isle after isle of bins and
shelves and buckets that hold every confection the world
has to offer. Now you can find some chocolatier's around today,
a candy bar for 9 bucks if they carry a bar at all for most
offer items like Truffles or Bon Bons, ask Andy what a truffle is
and he would say something along the lines of pigs and woods for
it just isn't something a child is into. They want Chocolate
Bars and Penny Candy and Sour whats its! Not gourmet Chocolate
with an inflated price tag and a filling they have never heard of.
We lucked out when we moved here for there is a Penny Candy
Store on the other side of the Park from us called "Z's" Penny
Candy. Now they are pretty darn cool but even the fact they are
dedicated to Penny candy is lost on me for their whole store
does not even come close to the Candy Section at Shaw's and
it is pretty much the same 10 Candy's over and over again.
More or less a bin of Orange Tootsie Rolls, then a regular one,
then Grape and so on and so forth. Nothing special from my
view but the kids still looked forward to it and even listened
to my tales on the way there about the Penny Candy shops
when I was a kid. I would give each of the children a couple
of bucks then buy 20 dollars worth of mixed candy for the
house and what really got me was if I were to spend 20
dollars when I was a kid I would have needed a forklift
to bring it home with, now a days Penny candy is a quarter
and it just isn't the same. Lack of choices and a huge
price tag does not bring back the memories I was so fond
of. When I was searching for Candy for the Valentines day
gift guide I stumbled on a store that was in a different
league now. Old time Candy has the Tootsie Rolls but
also all the other Candy I remember as a child, an my Mom
remembers and so on. They have it all!
Old time Candy has candy from 1920 on up to what is
hot today! Everything I remember from being a child, to
when Andrew was little and so on. I was squealing like
I was back at Shaw's with a couple of bucks in my hands
as I was flipping through the pages. Andrew came running
in the room thinking his Mom has finally lost it and you
have to remember he is two floors away on the opposite
side of the house but that was how loud I was. They sent
a sample box for review and it was like some sort of
political sum-met meeting in my living room when it came.
All of us gathered around the box peering inside trying
to decide a way that was fair and even to dole out the
contents. Everyone got five picks of their all time
favorites then we went around in a circle to divide the
rest. I grabbed my Pay Day, Marshmallow Ice Cream Cones
for you have no idea how much I love those things, Sugar
Daddy, Swedish Fish and Bit O Honey. I wish I could tell
you what the boys grabbed but I can't for I really didn't
care, I was too busy keeping an eye on the loads of other
items I wanted and hoping their hands went over them when
they were making their five picks. The rest were dolled out
one at a time for there were too many items we all liked
to do another large draw but I was tickled to see one of
the handle suckers from when i was little. You guys know
what I am talking about, the stem is shaped in a loop so
it is easy to hold and we rewarded Rowan with that little
gem for she was so behaved as the adults acted like 5 year
old over the box of Candy. I also do not know how Andrew
always ends up with all the Gum, no matter where I get
Candy from that boy always gets the Gum. John sat hording
his bag and munching in the corner the rest of the day and
I swear he growled whenever someone encroached his area as
if they might make a move for his stash. Talk about Junkies!
I am so Happy my Grandmother was not here for they have all
her favorites and for a kind woman that would share anything
with you if you can anywhere near her Jelly candies, LOOK OUT!
It could be my Birthday and she could say what would you like
and if I told her the only thing I really wanted was one of
her Jelly Candies she would have looked me square in the
eye and Growled, Pick again! Old Time Candy
can even cover her and her addictions! I really wish she was
here too see this for we are not sure where my Grandfather
used to find some of her candy and after he passed it
fell on my mother and I's shoulders to find it and
we had a heck of a time. We had no choice but to find
things that were sorta like, or similar too but never
the real deal. Old Time Candy has the "Real Deal"


They also have any real deals you can remember from
your youth too and to order is a snap. You can go a
little or a lot and Mix and Match and the possibilities
are endless. Not sure what you really loved for those
memories are a little fuzzy? Just get a sample and pick
the decade and they are sure to have just the thing
you are looking for even if you can't remember the name.
Gifts are covered too for they have some awesome ready
made theme packs that take out the guess work and are sure
to bring a smile to any ones face. I just love this store
and yes, I have done reviews for some pretty fancy, smancy
gourmet shops but nothing, and I repeat nothing, beats my
Marshmallow Ice Cream Cones and Old Time Candy flew straight
to the top of my list with just the simple fact I could order
those as often as I like! Remember how I told you part of
the fun was getting a bag and filling it with as many
different candy's as you could in all different flavors? The
bins calling your name and a little of this and a little of
that was half the fun of getting the candy? You guys can relive
that too with Old Time Candy's Pack A Bag. Pick what ever you
like and toss it in a bag and that's how it is going to come to
you, just like when you were a kid. Share your memories with your
children and pack a bag with them. The shipping was super fast
and there is nothing like the trill of opening that box!
Gift, Holiday, restock the house hold stash or just for you,
Old Time Candy is there to help you out! I have a order in
my cart all ready to go for as soon as I am down to my last couple
of pieces all I have to do is hit send for I need me some candy!
Perfect for Valentines Day and Easter, they have what it
takes for any age from any decade! They even have gift baskets!
Enjoy!


Old time Candy was also sweet as candy and offered
to give one of my readers a 4 pound sample pack too!
To enter just head over to the site and take a look
around and come back here and post what your favorite
candy was as a child. The contest will start tonight
and Run to April 8th at Midnight. Right in the Middle
of Valentines and Easter to give you time to look for
both! USA and 18 and older can enter daily and the winner
will be contacted by email and have 72 hours to
contact me with their mailing information. As always
you can earn a bonus entry by entering the contest of
the day and other ways to enter are posted below.


Old Time Candy!




Extra entries.
Extra entries only count after the initial entry
is completed.


1. Become a follower of my blog or
post that you are. 3 entries,
please post 3 times.


2. Enter any of my other contest. I entry
per contest, separate post for each entry.


3. Grab my button. 5 entries. Please post
5 times.


4. Blog about this contest somewhere else
and post the link here. 5 Entries Please
post five times.


Hey there, while you are here don't forget to enter
my Port a Pong and Sleepy Wrap Contests!


Don't forget to look for Old Time Candy on my
Valentines Day Gift Guide!

What next?

You can also bookmark this post using your favorite bookmarking service:

Related Posts by Categories



508 comments: to “ Old Time Candy Review and Giveaway!

Picture I used on cards

Picture I used on cards
Rowan with soap hair